Teaching Plan of Module 5 Ethnic Culture
Reading and Speaking
By Cherry (戴青)
1. to learn some useful words and expressions about Lijiang
2. to get better understanding of the culture of Lijiang through reading
3. to briefly introduce Lijiang and other ethnic culture in their own words
Teaching important points:
Students finish a mind map with the information mentioned in the text.
Teaching difficult points:
Students draw their own mind maps according to the information found from the Internet.
Task-based method, group study
A computer, a projector, mind map, color pens
Step I. Lead-in
Show some pictures of different nationalities and ask students what the nationality is and where its main habitation is. (To arouse students’ interest in minority groups)
Show some pictures of Yunnan. (To arouse students’ interest in Yunnan)
Step II. Reading
(To have a better understanding of the reading passage)
a. Words flashing: You will see some Chinese in a flash and try to find their English meanings. Please make sure that the order of the English words is the same as the Chinese one.
b. Jigsaw reading:
1. Scan the passage & locate key words
2. Fill in the mind map (KISS principle)
3. Retell the passage according to your mind map.
Step III. Speaking
(To briefly introduce a place with minority according to their mind maps)
1. Describe a place with minority.
2. Try to introduce the place according to your mind map.
*For more information or help:
1) search the Internet
2) ask Cherry or other teachers for help
Step IV. Homework
Write a short passage within 5 sentences to introduce a wonderful place you have been to.